He was an Austrian Jesuit Priest who landed in India in 1742A.D. and visited Awadh from 1766 to1772. His comprehensive book on Indian Geography is "Description. Historique Et Geographique De L’ Inde” which was originaly written in Latin. Its French version was published in 1786. For the first time since the Ayodhya debate its English translation published in "The Modern Travellers" in 1828 from London is pruduced below:-
Emperor Aurengzeb got the fortress called Ramot demolished and got a Muslim temple, with triple domes, constructed at the same place. Others say that is was constructed by ‘Babor’. Fourteen black stone pillars of 5 span high, which had existed at the site of the fortress, are seen there. Twelve of these pillars now support the interior arcades of the mosque. Two (of these 12) are placed at the entrance of the cloister. The two others are part of the tomb of some ‘Moor’. It is narrated that these pillars, or rather this debris of the pillars skillfully made, were brought from the island of Lanca or Selendip (called Ceylan by the Europeans) by Hanuman, King of Monkeys.
On the left is seen a square box, raised five inches from the ground, with borders made of lime, with a length of more than 5 ells and a maximum width of about 4. The Hindus call it Bedi, i.e. ‘the cradle’. The reason for this is that once upon a time, here was a house where Beschan was born in the form of Ram. It is said that his three brothers too were born here. Aurengzeb or Babor, according to others, got this place razed in order to deny them the noble people, opportunity of practising their superstitions. However, there still exists some superstitious cult in some place or other. For example, in the place where native house of Rama existed, they go around 3 times and prostrate on the floor. The two spots are surrounded by a low wall constructed with battlements. One enters the front hall through a low semi-circular door.